she's crafty...and she's just my type

9.08.2005

Italian Veggie Soup

I have had zero time to knit since school started, and I've also been absorbed with all the news from the Gulf Coast. So, in leiu of any finished projects, here is an awesome recipe I made on Tuesday.



Italian Veggie Soup

1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 leek (white and pale green parts only), chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 zucchini, thinly sliced crosswise
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup green beans
5-6 cups vegetable broth
1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
2-3 ounces dried wide egg noodles

1. Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the leek and saute until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until tender, about 2 minutes.

2. Stir in the zucchini and carrots. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Saute until the zucchini are tender, about 10 minutes.

3. Add the vegetable broth. Stir in the thyme and green beans and cook for 2 minutes.

4. Cover the pot and bring the soup to a simmer. Decrease the heat to medium-low and simmer gently until the flavors develop, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.

5. Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the noodles and cook until al dente, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes.

Then, to float in the soup, I made...

Phyllo Croutons
3 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
1 and 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
freshly grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Line a large heavy baking sheet with parchment paper. Stack the phyllo sheets on a work surface and roll up into a cylinder. Cut the rolled stacked phyllo sheets crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide sections. Unroll the phyllo sections and toss in a large bowl to separate the strips. Gradually drizzle the butter over the phyllo, tossing constantly to coat. (The phyllo strips might break up into smaller pieces.) Sprinkle the Parmesan over the phyllo and toss gently to coat. Arrange the phyllo mixture evenly over the prepared baking sheet. Bake until the mixture is crisp and golden, about 10 minutes.

Cool the phyllo mixture, and then coarsely break it apart into desired pieces.

I have to admit, I stole these recipes from Everyday Italian (foodtv.com) but I changed some things about the soup:

A. Cut the recipe in half.
B. Subsituted carrots and green beans for the called-for artichokes. Eeee. Artichokes.
C. Used half veggie broth and half water because, okay, I am cheap.

Mmmm. It was awesome. I love soup.

1 Comments:

Anonymous johanna said...

hey, this recipe looks yummy! I'm going to try it. I still havn't had a chance to make the lasagna but I want to wait until I have the opportunity to feed more than two people! Anyway, I love Giada from everyday Italian but geezus her head is so large! haa <3

2:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home